This article shows you how to blur your background during a Zoom meeting to maintain some privacy with regards to your surroundings. This option simply blurs the background of your video, obscuring exactly who or what is behind you.
- Background blur on Windows | macOS
- Background blur on Android | iOS
Background blur on Windows | macOS
How to enable blur background before a meeting
1. Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
2. Click your profile picture and then click Settings.
3. Select Backgrounds & Filters.
4. Under Virtual Backgrounds, Click Blur. Your background will become blurred behind you, blurring your surroundings.
How to enable blur background during a meeting
1. Join a Zoom meeting.
2. In the bottom left corner of the video window, click the up arrow button next to the Start Video / Stop Video button.
3. Click Blur My Background.
Note: This option requires version 5.9.3 or higher.
Background blur on Android | iOS
1. Sign in to the Zoom mobile app.
2. While in a Zoom meeting, tap More in the controls.
3. Tap Virtual Background (Android) or Background and Filters (iOS).
4. Tap the Blur option. Your background will become blurred behind you, blurring your surroundings.
- After you enable the blurred background, that virtual background will be used for your future meetings.
- To disable Virtual Background, open the virtual background options again and choose the option None.
For more information on these steps, please visit the official Zoom support article.
Need more help? Please email